- The Ecuadorian Government has suspended train operations for the time being. The tour can operate without the Tren Crucero to include all rail journeys in Peru. Contact us for details and pricing ***
A sublime rail journey aboard the most luxurious train exploring Ecuador and the first luxury sleeper train crossing the Altiplano of Peru.
This is a journey of extreme contrast, from the Pacific coast to the majestic Andes, exploring ancient Inca kingdoms, indigenous villages, colourful markets and savouring the best Andean-inspired cuisine.
Outside your window the ever-changing scenery reveals fertile valleys, golden fields, impressive snow-capped mountains and lush tropical forests on a journey like no other in South America.
Today begins your fantastic rail journey aboard TREN CRUCERO. Starting at sea level the train climbs 3,600 metres into the imposing Andes mountain range and its ever-present snow-capped volcanos, revealing one of the most dramatic changes in scenery imaginable. Board your train at Duran station and travel to Bucay, crossing through fertile plains and plantations of rice, sugar, banana and pineapple. Enjoy lunch at a traditional Hacienda (farm) where you will learn about the cacao bean and taste home-made chocolate.
Overnight in Bucay.
Travel along the Chanchán river canyon. You will experience a dramatic change in the vegetation and temperature as the train starts the 450 metre ascent of the dramatic Devil’s Nose pass. Journey through golden quinoa fields and visit the indigenous community of Palacio Real. Overnight in Riobamba.
Journey to Urbina, the highest point on our route, where the last glacier-ice merchant awaits to tell the tale of his ancestral trade. Ride along the ‘Avenue of the Volcanos’ and explore an Andean forest trail at the foot of the imposing Cotopaxi volcano. Overnight in Quito.
Travel through spectacular mountain scenery to observe the Condor in full flight at the dramatic Cruz del Condor lookout. Continue to Chivay Andean town for lunch, before returning to Arequipa. This evening embark on a luxury rail journey aboard the ANDEAN EXPLORER, one of the highest train journeys on earth, exploring ancient kingdoms and natural wonders.
Depart as the sun sets on the baroque architecture of Arequipa to travel overnight towards Lake Titicaca, through deep valleys and high mountains where South American camelids graze on the wide open plains and ‘big sky’ country of the Peruvian Altiplano.
Wake up to the stunning sunrise at Lake Titicaca. Boat trip to the unique Uros reed floating islands.
Learn about how the lives of the Uros people are closely tied to the totora reeds. Also visit the Taquile island, where you will have a traditional Andean lunch and see some of the local artisan work. Depart in the evening for Cuzco.
Sightseeing tour visiting the best sites of colonial and modern Lima. Continue to the Larco Herrera museum, housed in a 18th century mansion. Be amazed by a captivating collection showcasing more than 5,000 years of Pre-Columbian history, followed by a gourmet Peruvian dinner at the museum’s restaurant.
Half day walking tour of Santiago. A unique experience learning about Chile’s culture and history, while exploring the town centre with stops at the Museum of Fine Arts, Santa Lucia Hill, the Central seafood market, Plaza de Armas square and the Presidential Palace. Evening transfer to the airport for your next flight.
- All internal flights based on LATAM air-pass which requires arrival into South America with LATAM. If using another carrier, price will differ
- Accommodation at selected hotels with private facilities
- Meals as indicated (18 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 8 dinners)
- 4D/3N Tren Crucero, train Ecuador – full board
- 3D/2N Andean Explorer, train Peru – full board
- One way economy Vistadome train to Machu Picchu
- One way luxury Hiram Bigham train to Cuzco with gourmet dinner
- Transport by air conditioned vehicles
- Comprehensive sightseeing with English speaking local guides
- Tour escort on escorted departures (minimum 10 people booked)
- Meeting service and airport transfers
- Airport taxes and fuel surcharges (approx $311 pp)
- Surcharges apply for Easter, New Years
- Any items not mentioned as included